Sonlight Curriculum

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Ahhhh....nap time

The beauty of silence. Nothing but the typing of the keys can be heard in our home right now. This just doesn't happen often.

Abigail (2) and Jackson (2 months) are down for their naps. I feel so accomplished!

I was talking with a girlfriend about the joys and sacrifices of stay-at-home motherhood. It's a temporary sacrifice in identity when you have a history of being known for your professional role in the work force. No longer are you nurse, lawyer, teacher, etc. No more meetings, luncheons, or seminars. Instead you wear the title of full time Mom all day long.

Sure these can be difficult sacrifices, but in the long term we both agreed how worthwhile they are to us. There is no place I would rather be and no one I would rather have caring for my child than me. It is a gift and a blessing that I am given this time with my children. They will only be young for such a short time. They are worth every investment I can make. I realize not everyone has this option and I aim to see it as a precious gift everyday I wake up for work...at home.

By the way, this is not an insult to the working women. I still work on a limited part time basis myself. We all do what we have to do...and to an extent what we want to do. I do encourage my friends to try it out though. If it means cutting your budget to make things work it's worth a try. Being a Stay-at-home Mom may not be for everyone, but it's the opportunity of a lifetime.

And in what other profession can you celebrate nap time?

1 comment:

  1. Amen! I celebrate nap time every day. I came across your blog via Google and am so glad. I am a 32 yr old SAHM to Ryan, a 15 month old wonderful littly boy. We are also a Christian family. I have my own blog for our family too. Thank you for your posts. I look forward to keeping up with your blog.

    ReplyDelete